In addition to the comprehensive patent service that we offer, our patent experts are also experienced in resolving patent disputes via litigation.
Our Litigation team has extensive experience of dealing with a broad range of patent cases before the UK (in the High Court, the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court)Â and European courts (The Court of Justice of the European Union), sometimes in conjunction with other trusted overseas attorneys. Our patent litigation work covers a breadth of industries. Â Most recently we have conducted litigation in the UK courts in matters encompassing chemical and IT technologies.
The unparalleled technical expertise and knowledge of our patent attorneys, combined with the specialist legal skills of our solicitors, allows us to provide a dispute resolution team that has the experience and resources to handle all elements of litigation, from pre-action procedure before the initiation of proceedings to the court proceedings themselves.Â
Regardless of the task, whether it be to achieve a commercial result for our clients on the negotiating table or to succeed at trial, our team has the commercial awareness and tried and tested skills to ensure that our clientsâ€™ interests are protected. We have particular experience of advising clients in patent disputes with multi-jurisdictional issues, especially throughout Europe, in China and the US. We are accustomed to assessing the strategic advantages of where to commence proceedings so as to maximise the chances of a successful result for our clients.
We work with clients, balancing their commercial objectives, business requirements and cost implications, to establish a disputes strategy. Whilst this may involve formal proceedings, we are committed to using Alternate Dispute Resolution (â€śADRâ€ť), including informal negotiations and recognised ADR forms such as mediation and arbitration, wherever it seems most likely to lead to a better overall result for our clients. We have an excellent track-record of settling high-value patent disputes through mediation and arbitration, where appropriate. Â
Our Litigation team has represented a vast array of clients across a range of sectors in patent litigation proceedings in the UK and worldwide. Our experience includes:
- Acting on behalf of a market-leading UK energy and home services provider in a patent litigation concerning alleged infringement by our client of a patent relating to energy metering systems required as a result of recent government changes to industry standards in the energy sector. The case, which was initially brought in the IPEC but subsequently transferred to the High Court due to the damages being estimated at close to ÂŁ80m, involved complex factual and expert evidence. The final decision of the High Court proceedings is expected over the coming months.
- Representing an industry-leading manufacturer of shaped charges for use in the extraction of oil, where we succeeded in obtaining a favourable result for our clients following a robust defence by the team which raised issues seemingly missed by the Claimant.
- Representing an industry-leader in voice transaction technology in a complex patent infringement claim, where we managed successfully to secure a highly-advantageous outcome for our client through settlement negotiations on the first day of trial. Â Â
With a view to the future, we will also have rights to represent clients at the new Unified Patent Court (UPC) in London, Munich and Paris, and already have team members with the necessary high level language skills.
Why Choose Us
The combined expertise of our highly experience patent attorneys alongside our solicitors team ensures that our clients are provided with the best possible team.
- Our Litigation team provides sound, decisive advice and will give you a clear answer on the chances of your success at trial.
- We are value and results driven â€“ our team recognises that clients want a commercial result and that the aim for our clients is not to set legal precedent, but for the infringement to stop and for them to make a solid return on their investment.
- We strive to avoid prolonged and costly litigation unless it is in our view the best way for our clients to achieve their objectives. Our extensive expertise in ADR and other informal methods of dispute resolution mean that we have all of the tools at our disposal to ensure that the best possible result is achieved for our clients.
- Our attorneys are well-accustomed to conducting litigation with international implications and we use our relationships with trusted attorneys in foreign jurisdictions, where necessary, to ensure the effective conduct of the litigation.
- We have experience of representing a broad range of clients across the full spectrum of industries - we are proud to represent numerous sector-leading players in industries ranging from pharmaceuticals and IT to oil and gas. Â