Richard has an interdisciplinary background across a broad spectrum of information technology and the physical sciences, and consequently works for a diverse set of clients in these fields. These vary in size from individual inventors, via start-ups and universities, to SMEs and multinationals.
Year joined: 2006
Qualifications:BA (Cantab) PhD DIC MPhil (Cantab) CPA EPA
In addition to the drafting, filing and prosecuting of patent applications in various jurisdictions, Richard is involved in more strategic work, including:
- Identifying patenting opportunities and patent landscaping
- Resolving matters of IP ownership, licensing and other agreements
- Building and managing patent portfolios
- Analysing competitors via patenting and commercial activity
- Assessing patent infringement risk
- Writing due diligence reports
- Defending and asserting clientsâ€™ IP rights â€“ and challenging those of competitors
Richard has a PhD in physics from Imperial College London, where he worked at the Interdisciplinary Research Centre for Semiconductor Materials, and two degrees from the University of Cambridge â€“ in Natural Sciences (physics) and an MPhil in Technology Policy from the Judge Business School â€“ as well as several years spent as an IT professional.