Martin is a Chartered Patent Attorney and European Patent Attorney. Chambers ranks Martin as a Band 1 Patent Attorney and as a âkey individualâ for biochemistry and biotechnology patents. He is described by one source as being "very knowledgeable, very alert to client requirements and creative in finding solutions to problemsâ (2015). In previous editions, he is praised as being a "very skilled patent attorney" who "doesn't just provide an off-the-shelf solutionâ (2014). It also describes him as being âdiligent and proactive and provides excellent strategic adviceâ (2011) and "relaxed, personable and approachable" (2012). The most recent sources have advised that he "thinks creatively about how toÂ achieve our solutions" and isÂ "service-minded, knowledgeable and on the ball" (2016).Â Martin also comes highly recommended by Legal 500 (2012). Martin is recommended in the 2015 Legal 500 Directory and is described as being âknowledgeableâ and âflexibleâ. It is also noted that 'the highly regarded Martin MacLean advised new client Public Health England on a number of global patent grants and filing strategy matters'. Martin has been nominated by peers as one of the world's leading practitioners in the field of patents in the both the 2016 and 2017 edition ofÂ Who's Who Legal: Patents.Â Martin has also been ranked in the latest edition of IAM Strategy 300 â The Worldâs Leading IP Strategists 2017.Â Legal 500 (2017) notes thatÂ Martin has âa good breadth of knowledge in the life sciences fieldâ, âa deep understanding of the law and the procedures at the EPOâ, and âexcellent track record of handling very difficult casesâ.Â
Qualifications:BSc MSc PhD CPA EPA
Martinâs principal practice areas include; drafting and global prosecution, defence and opposition, freedom-to-operate and strategic advice. In this regard, Martin has extensive experience in the conduct of hearings before the European Patent Office, having conducted over 100 hearings.Â Martin specialises in technologies such as the re-targeting of bacterial toxins, vaccines, expression systems, microbial detection assays, cytokine-based therapeutics, and agrochemicals, and represents clients ranging from UK Government and blue chip biotech companies through to spin-outs and start-ups.Â
Martin has a strong background in biochemistry and biotechnology, having obtained a first degree (Warwick University) in microbial technology and a PhD (Warwick University) for research conducted into the biochemical aspects of acidophilic bacteria. He also has a master's degree in IP from the University of London.
He acts as a tutor for the UK and European qualifying examinations.Â He also serves as a lecturer and clinician for the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys.
Membership & Organisations
Martin is a member of the Life Sciences Committee for the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys.
MartinÂ has presented on the challenges of stem cell patentability in Europe and provided practical advice on how to obtain commercially-relevant patents in this technical field.Â A link to the full presentation is provided below.
- âHIV peptidesâ (Adaltis, Abbott Lab, United Biomedical, Institut Pasteur, Bio-Rad Pasteur)
- âFactor XIIIâ (Novo Nordisk, Baxter, Aventis Behring)
- âTACIâ (ZymoGenetics, Corixa, HGS)
- âOmega-3â (Martek Biosciences, Nagase Biochem, Aventis R&T, OmegaTech, Monsanto)
- "Stomach-action molluscicides" (Young, W.Neudorff GmbH)
- "Pesticidal compositions" (W.Neudorff GmbH, Bayer CropScience AG)
- "Aqueous pesticide formulations" (Monsanto, Nufarm Australia Limited, Rhodia Operations)
- "RNase ÎĄ detection of pathogenic organisms" (Herrmann; MacLean)
- "Detection of microbial residues" (DSM IP Assets, Charm Sciences)
- "One-step detection of antimicrobial residues" (DSM IP Assets, Charm Sciences)
- "Clonal virus therapeutics" (Wellstat Biologics, Bayer Schering Pharma AG)
- "Propagation and directed differentiation of CNS stem cells" (Neuralstem Biopharma, Stem Cells Inc.)
- "Recombinant EPO" (Sterrenbeld Biotechnologie; Polymun Scientific Immunbiologische)
- "Neural Stimulation" (Enteromedics)
- âLivestock feedsâ (Univ. BC, Akzo)